How it works
The Social Bicycles System
Booking a bike
Bikes available 24 hours 7 days.
Find and reserve one of our bikes using the Social Bicycles mobile app, app.socialbicycles.com in your browser, or using a bike’s keypad.
Enter your 4 digit PIN to unlock the bike. Want to stop for coffee? Press the “HOLD” button and lock the bike to a rack. Just enter your 4-digit PIN to unlock and ride.
Enjoy your time!
If you have an issue with your bicycle, press the “REPAIR” button and then lock the bike to a rack. When riding, remember to follow these rules of the road.
To end your trip just lock your bike to a rack at a hub location. If you end your trip outside of a hub location you will be charged an additional fee for rebalancing.
Bikes are now available 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year (operating hours).
Auto renewing membership
For your convenience, our membership plans renew automatically.
ABOUT Monash BikeShare
Want to know more
Monash Bike Share will enhance transport options for students and staff. Become a member and use a bike to get around campus, run errands, visit friends, go shopping, get fit or just have fun!
Monash Bike Share 2018 Memberships are now available.
Sign-up and receive an account number and pin to reserve and unlock bike using the bike keypad, your mobile device, or PC!
Free, Flexible, Sustainable, Convenient, Fun, Healthy.
- Classic design with an easy step-over frame;
- Highly reliable drum brakes;
- Chain-free bikes to avoid mess and minimise chain slipping;
- Weather resistant Internally located gear hub;
- Adjustable seat with easy to remember number levels;
- Low rider-height threshold;
- Automatic front & rear LED lighting;
- Bike lights and locking system run on solar and wheel-generated power;
- Kevlar tyres to withstand rough urban terrain;
- Handlebar/basket combo for storage;
- Bikes simply lock to existing bike racks via digital locking system integrated into the bike frame;
- Anti-tampering technology to deter and notify destruction or theft;
- GPS and 3G connectivity in each bike to enable precise location, simple booking system, user analytics (distance travelled, calories burned, Co2 emissions saved), social media sharing (via Facebook, Twitter and other social media) and flagging a repair;
- Each bike will have a helmet attached to it for convenience; please do the right thing and ensure the helmet stays with the bike so all members get the benefit of the helmets. *
How to Operate a Bike
Watch a short video on how to reserve, unlock, hold and lock a bike.
Fees & Charges
Other Fees and Charges
Bike locked outside System Area: Bicycles locked outside Clayton Campus after ride completed during operating hours indicated on Website will incur a $50 fee for each incident;
Bike locked within System Area but not to a Bike Rack: Bikes locked within Clayton Campus grounds but not locked to a Bike Rack will incur a $25 fee for each incident
Unauthorised user: Any rider that is not the registered Member of the Reservation will incur a $50 fee for each incident
Bike locked to itself: If the bicycle is not securely locked to an immovable object, the member will incur a $50 fee for each incident;
Bike modified, damaged, lost or stolen: If the bicycle is modified, damaged, destroyed or cannot be found whilst in use by Member, Member will incur a $2,500 fee for each incident;
Administration fee for Membership Fees unpaid: Payment of any amounts You owe Us are not received when due, member will incur a $10 fee for each incident;
Incorrect service callout: Incorrectly reporting that there is a problem with a Bicycle (e.g. pressing “Repair” button on keypad) and no such problem exists, member will incur a $100 fee for each incident;
Standby for special offers and member benefits after Launch.
Find and reserve bikes
Not near a computer? Want to reserve that last bike? Just use the SoBi mobile app for iOS and Android to find nearby bikes, hub locations, promotions, and more.
Our technology provider, Social Bicycles, is committed to a great mobile app experience and they are regularly improving existing features and adding new features to their mobile app. If you want to find out more or let them know what you think check out their helpdesk.
Download THE SOBI app, and ride today!
Help us plan our system, be a…
Use Social Cyclist to let us know where you want bike share around Monash
Social Cyclist is a powerful mobile app that enables people riding bikes to make their community’s bike infrastructure better. Monash Bike Share will be using Social Cyclist to gather suggestions for new bike share hub locations.
- Record and share!
- Cycling is not about just traveling from point A to point B, it is about exploring all the points in-between. With Social Cyclist you can track rides and add photos, reports, and comments along the way.
- Want more racks?
- Social Cyclist is a great way for a whole community to discuss where to add new public bike parking infrastructure or public bike share stations.
Follow the rules of the road
Follow the rules
Yield to pedestrians. Stop at all red lights and stop signs. Ride in the direction of traffic. Use the grip bell to signal your presence. Do not wear more than one earphone while riding.
Plan a sensible route
Plan your route before you ride to follow the safest route to get you where you want to go. You can use our app to find your way to a bike you’ve reserved or to a hub when you want to end your ride.
Do a pre-ride check
Check the bike’s tire pressure, try the grip bell, and if you’re riding at night check that the front and rear lights are illuminated.
Make it easy for the other traffic around you. Don’t make unexpected turns that put yourself and others in danger. Ride at a steady pace so other vehicles can anticipate your movement.
Wear a helmet
Wear a helmet whenever you ride. Always buckle the strap. Replace your helmet after any crash and whenever you see signs of damage. Avoid these common helmet mistakes
Tips for turns
Use hand signals to let drivers and other cyclists know your intention to turn or to stop. Don’t turn or change lanes without knowing the position of the cars and bikes around you.
Drop us a line
Best way to contact us
Whether you need some help or just want to get in touch:
For sponsorship details please contact Joejoe.email@example.com
We will get back to you as soon as we will finish riding our amazing bikes!